19 March 2005

The Journey Begins.....

19 March 2005

A little history..... I moved to Zambia in 2003, assuming it would be for the rest of my life. It was my calling; my heart drew me there. Everything collected over a long life, spent mostly in the US, had been sold to fund the venture.

So, there I was, minding my own business, loving what I was doing as a pretty busy graphic designer and photographer, celebrating the wonders of Zambia in everything I produced, and, whammo, I got arrested. Someone decided he/she didn't want me there. It's a country where just a little bit of money will buy anything, including someone's life.

As a 62 year old, living a quiet, conservative life (with a hippy-dippy liberal mind), being thrown into three third world prisons over the course of a week was mind-blowing and terrifying! The description of that experience will follow at some point when I can deal with it. At the end of the ordeal, after the judge hearing my case demanded a payoff to give me a suspended sentence, and having had no food, water, or ablutions, I was put on a plane in the same sun dress and sandals I'd been wearing for a week and sent to JFK. In February. Snow up to my knees.


Dear, sweet friends in Zambia managed to pack up a few things from my house there for shipment and organised getting my beloved dogs sent back to me. These two things, plus paying a lawyer (and the judge) in Zambia, and having to buy an airline ticket have taken every penny I'd hope to live on for whatever years I have left.

Here I am with nothing, trying to rebuild a life, and having to freeload on friends for a place to stay with my dogs. Slowly things are falling into place. Over the last 6 weeks, with the help of friends and family, I've managed to get a cell phone and a car, giving me a bit of freedom for the next steps. The big picture is so overwhelming that I can only deal with a step at a time. Once a few things are in place, and I can try to make some money with some freelance work here in the northeast, I'll hit the road to try to find a place somewhere in this country (the U.S.) to settle, somewhere warm. How crazy is it for a 62 year old woman with two dogs, no health insurance, no money, and no firm destination to take off in an old car across the country into the unknown?

So, now the journey begins......


4 Comments:

At 5:25 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This is such a sad turn of events. Being a Zambian living in the UK, I feel ashamed. Why hasn't anyone done anything about this?

Did the US embassy know what was going on? I do not understand how such a terrible thing can be allowed to happen.

Zambians are reknown for their friendliness. This is so unZambian. We shocked! Read more at
http://groups.msn.com/ZambiaSossa/general.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=9697&LastModified=4675515015012766926

 
At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. It's sad that you were thrown out like that after building a life in Zambia. Please, do tell us the full story sometime.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger M'garv said...

I am deeply distressed by your experience.

But I'm pleased to read that you're now viewing this miserable setback as a new, fresh beginning.

You wrote that you are seeking a new adventure.

Well, Huzzah!

You write that you would like to settle into a warm place. And that you may soon set off on a journey with your beloved dogs to do just that.

May I humbly suggest Southern Arizona (SoAz) as a potential destination? It's inexpensive and gorgeous.

Nine years ago, I emigrated from chilly New England to Rio Rico, Arizona. It's a rural suburb of the border gateway, Nogales, here in SoAz.

Not once have I ever regretted my decision. The climate here is marvelous, especially during the rainy season! Which here, becomes our second spring.

Then, exotic Mexico is only a twenty-minute drive south. Even better, is that most of my sweet neighbors claim Spanish as their native tongue. Which pleased the heck out of me: I love Spanish.

You can use the web to confirm my claims about SoAz.

As for your doubts about setting off, at age 62, to seek a new adventure?

Well, once again -- "Huzzah!"

All the best to you,

Jack McGarvey

(Dog lover, widely published writer, educator, single parent, gay grandad, and surely - a fellow liberal. You can Google my name, when you have have the time...)

 
At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brave Woman god bless you x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home